Name: Austin & Danielle (of Forage + Fodder)
Type of Project: Kitchen & Garage Remodel
Location: Austin, Texas
Type of building: One story, Single-Family House, 1250 square feet
Danielle and Austin's renovation is underway! If you missed them last week, you can click back through and catch up on the introductory posts about the project, Danielle and Austin's plans for the finished kitchen, and their budget.
Ah, it’s beginning! We worked on garage demolition last weekend, which was surprisingly easy. I will say though, demoing the ceiling gets old pretty quick, because your arms get so tired from working above your head, but we made it through with no surprises. Randomly, my favorite part was removing the nails with the crowbar. Something sort of therapeutic about it, I guess.
Demoing the last few bits of sheetrock.
We finalized our window and door models a while back, but didn’t want to order them too early since we didn’t have the space to store them. I guess in that time, we forgot that the lead time was six weeks, so seeing as we just finalized the order this week, that’s already going to set us back a little. I’m hoping there are other areas of the house that can be worked on in the meantime, and our vendor told us that they may arrive sooner than six weeks, so we’ll see.
After reading review after review, we finally pulled the trigger on a rangetop. We wanted something commercial if possible, but more affordable than a premium brand like Wolf. Luckily we found a great deal on a 36” Bertazzoni range top from Amazon, and it should be here next week. I also did a ton of research on apron front sinks, comparing fireclay vs. cast iron. We’ve decided to go with cast iron, which means this sink should outlast us all. Most of the double basin models retail for about $1,400, so I’m scouring Craigslist, Ebay, and Amazon to see if we can find a better price.
The fruits of 16+ hours of labor.
Our plumbers worked so hard this week trenching the yard for the new sewer line. We used to have two very large trees in the front yard that we had to remove last year because dangerously large limbs kept falling off of them. Apparently the remaining roots were so big that what should’ve taken about five hours took 16 to trench through. During the week they made it through all of the yard and partially through the driveway, and on Saturday the jackhammer was going in our garage for about 13 hours. I thought I was going to lose my mind.
The new sewer line for the master bathroom and laundry room.
We ended up taking Sadie (our very skittish pup) to a neighbor’s house because she literally thought the world was ending, and I spent the afternoon with friends until the dust settled. We’re realizing we should’ve given the surrounding houses a heads up because this jackhammer was LOUD. I’ll be happy if I never see another jackhammer again.
Doesn't look like much, but this was so much progress for the first week!
Estimated time for project: 13 weeks
Time remaining: 12 weeks
Check out the full series (so far) and be sure to join us tomorrow for installment #5 of Danielle and Austin's kitchen & garage remodel.
(Images and diary text: Danielle and Austin)