Danielle and Austin's Kitchen & Garage Remodel: Bits & Pieces

Danielle and Austin's Kitchen & Garage Remodel: Bits & Pieces

Guest
Sep 18, 2014
Our beautiful new floors, with a finished edge.

Name: Austin & Danielle (of Forage + Fodder)
Type of Project: Kitchen & Garage Remodel
Location: Austin, Texas
Type of building: One story, Single-Family House, 1250 square feet

The Renovation Diaries are a collaboration with our community in which we feature your step by step renovation progress and provide monetary support towards getting it done in style. See all of our Reno Diaries here.

The floors are finished! Well at least the wood floors are. And remember that crumbling ledge? David completely reinforced it by setting a new concrete edge and framing it with wood, and it looks seamless and wonderful.

Cuts on cuts on cuts... why did we pick such small tile?
Remnants - we'll use some of these scraps later.

The bathroom tile is taking a little longer than expected. There are just lots of little cuts, and David is working solo, so it takes time. I’m trying to be patient. We have a ceiling fan and closet light now, so bits and pieces of the bedroom are really starting to come together.

This fan was shockingly huge to me. Hopefully it will seem smaller once we have furniture in here.

I gave a follow up call about the countertop installation that just about broke me (do you see how dramatic a remodel can make you?). We were quoted a two week turnaround when they came to measure two weeks ago, so naturally I thought they’d be ready this week. Come to find out, it took them a week and a half to enter the order in the system, and the countertops won’t actually be ready until three weeks from now. This stalls everything. And I was so excited about getting some semblance of a functional kitchen back. Our five year wedding anniversary is coming up, and we were hoping to cook in our new kitchen, but it’s going to be cutting it really close.

Our sweet little closet light. I'll take progress wherever I can!

On a more positive note, we have a functioning laundry room again! We still need to seal the grout in there, and add some shelving, but hey, we can wash our clothes and that’s a win in my book. Initially when we went to hook up the dryer, the new plug didn’t match the power cord of our dryer. So we went out to buy a new cord that matched the plug, but naturally, that plug didn’t work with our dryer. Seriously, it’s like every little step has some sort of hiccup these days. Thankfully, David figured out some way to make the two work in harmony. I think it’s only a temporary fix though, so we’ll need to upgrade our washer/dryer situation in the future. We were supposed to finish painting this week, but now, knowing that the countertops are still a few weeks out, we figure what’s the rush.

Finally! We can do laundry again!! Wahoo!

Estimated time for project: 13 weeks
Time remaining: 2 Weeks Over

Check out the full series (so far) and be sure to join us next week for installment #19 of Danielle and Austin's kitchen & garage remodel.

(Images and diary text: Danielle and Austin)

Created with Sketch.