Austin and Danielle's Austin home got a pretty extensive makeover — they enlarged and modernized their kitchen, and turned their garage into a dreamy master suite with a light-filled bedroom and a beautiful, modern bathroom. So how much did it all cost? Let's break it down.
We anticipated that our budget would change fairly drastically, since we weren’t sure how much to budget for countertops and cabinets. Although it was more than we anticipated originally, we feel like we got a really great deal on those items. We knew there’d be surprises along the way, so we weren’t caught off guard with the added cost of a fiberglass shower pan or the additional time and materials spent on the step-down into our living room. All in all we’re very happy with our final project cost, and relatively speaking, we feel like the results far outweigh the money spent on the project!
• General Construction (framing, installation of new windows/doors, concrete demo, pouring of new cement floor, exterior siding, insulation, drywall, painting & haul fees): $10,800
• General Construction: $14,365
DESIGN AND PERMITTING:
• Initial architect consultation: $300
• Mechanical permit: $53
CABINETS AND COUNTERTOPS:
• Cabinets: we have no idea how much cabinets cost.
• Lower cabinets & Silestone countertops, plus sink installation: $9,581
• Reclaimed red & white oak for living room, kitchen, entry, and bedroom ($3.50/SF): $2,327
• Daltile matte subway tile tub/shower enclosure & kitchen backsplash ($2.58/SF): $696
OTHER BUILDING MATERIALS:
• Lumber, drywall, insulation, piping, exterior brick & siding: it’s too soon to say how much this will cost.
• Included in General Construction cost above.
• Because these items are a lower priority we’re only setting aside $500 right now for miscellaneous decor (new linens, curtains, bathroom fixtures, etc…)
• New bed, curtains, rugs, mirrors, shelving, end tables, kitchen table, etc: $1,625
Total Budget (Projected):
Total Budget (Actual):
Readers, Check out the full series to see the whole renovation process, step-by-step. And tune in tomorrow for Danielle and AUstin's final thoughts on what they learned during the renovation.
The Renovation Diaries are a new collaboration with our community in which we feature your step by step renovation progress and provide monetary support towards getting it done in style. See all of our Reno Diaries here.
(Diary Text: Danielle & Austin. Image: Adrienne Breaux)