Name: Darian Darling
Location: Queens, New York
Size: 800 square feet
Years lived in: 2½ — rented
Taking a break from her busy and glamourous entourage duties on Lady Gaga’s Monster Ball tour, lifestyle blogger, makeup artist and nightlife hostess, Darian Darling, graciously gave us a peek into her glittering abode. A direct reflection of her glitzy and engaging personality, Darian’s unique and inspirational home is full of eye-candy in every corner.
On her self-titled blog, Darian Darling: A Guide to Life for Modern Blondes, Darian offers her expertise on all things blonde - covering makeup, the world of baking, and of course – her obsession with pink. It’s no surprise that her home would represent her interests in such a distinct manner.
Color matching her own paint hues at home depot, salvaging Barbie Mannequins from the MAC makeup store in Manhattan’s Soho neighborhood, and scouring Ebay for Hollywood starlet-worthy furniture finds are all prime examples of the creative ways Darian has kept her apartment “on brand” with her glamorous persona.
When challenged with an eye sore of a bathroom, Darian turned lemon colored tiles into lemonade by displaying her Wonder Woman collectibles and adding a vibrant fringe shower curtain. Mixing fabulous vintage finds from Ebay and throw pillows from PBteen, she has used ingenuity and humor to create a space all of her own.
Her 1980’s Nail Salon-inspired living room feel surprisingly serene and totally liveable, and she cleverly incorporates her many priceless doll collections (most of which began in her childhood) without cluttering up the space. Fusing the unexpected with a fluid layout and subdued paint colors keeps the home both relaxing and obviously, thought-provoking. This home is a prime example of inspired living - and how wonderful to see a dwelling that is truly reflective of one's personality, especially when it's as delightfully vivacious as the one and only Darian Darling.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Barbie’s Dream house
Inspiration: I am really inspired by beauty and glamour. Oh, and obviously Barbie and pink!
Favorite Element: Definitely my bedroom because it’s so relaxing and has become my own little sanctuary. I believe in the feng shui teaching that there shouldn’t be electronics where you sleep, just books. The room has so much natural light and I can curl up in my satin sheets and just be fabulous. It feels like a glamorous, movie star’s boudoir.
Biggest Challenge: The bathroom was really dodgy and when I first moved in - there wasn’t even a sink! It’s the size of a small closet but after a few adjustments, it works now. Ideally I would love a huge bathroom with a great tub – but with New York apartments, there always seem to be one issue!
What Friends Say: This is my friend’s favorite place to hang out. It’s not necessarily their style but it’s so inviting and I love entertaining and hosting brunches. Several of my friends have requested to have their birthday’s here – my most recent party had 50 people.
Biggest Embarrassment: The bathroom… I just hate that bathroom! The tile is a gross, weird yellow color - I mean what do you put with that? A fringe shower curtain and wonder woman, what else?
Proudest DIY: Well, I’m not a big DIY-er but, I painted the kitchen (the super painted the rest of the apartment) and I’m very happy with my work, because that hot pink paint was extremely hard to work with.
Biggest Indulgence: The settee and antique chair in the bedroom are vintage pieces from the 1800’s and still have the original velvet. When I saw them on Ebay, I knew they were quite the investment – but I had to have them.
Best Advice: Paint your bedroom a color that you look great naked in.
Dream Sources: ABC Carpet and Home, Ebay, CB2, IKEA, and www.target.com
Resources of Note:
• Paint Color: Silver Berry by Baer
• Woman Painted on a Subway Map: Sharon Pell
• Paint Color: color matched to a Christian Dior sunglasses case at Home Depot
• White Leather Couch: IKEA
• Acryclic Coffee Table: CB2
• Pillows: mix of PBteen and Pottery Barn http://www.pbteen.com/
• Suede Shag Rug: IKEA
• Pink Chair: vintage, from the late 1960’s
• Metallic Zebra Pillow: Bed Bath & Beyond
• Mirrored Side Tables: www.target.com
• Patrick Nagel Artwork: Ebay
• Dining Room Table: From one of those random furniture stores in Chinatown. I demanded they throw in a fake flower arrangement as a bonus!
• Dining Room Chairs: IKEA
• All dishes: Fish’s Eddy
• Console and Cabinet: both from IKEA
• Paint Color: Mauve Mist by Behr
• Antique Settee and Chair: Ebay
• Both Dressers: Ebay
• Bedding: Bed Bath & Beyond
• Lady Lamp: Ebay
• Nightstand: Ebay
• Candelabra: QVC
• Fringe Curtains: Salvaged from a window display from the MAC store
Images: Mat Sanders
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.