Name: David and Catarina Hoekman, two kids & a cat
Location: Greenwood — Seattle, Washington
Size: 2400 sq ft
Years lived in: lived in for 15, remodeled 6 years ago — owned
This little green three-story may look average from the outside, but the inside holds a sunny elegance that is anything but ordinary. Nestled in the up-and-coming family neighborhood of Greenwood in Seattle, native Swede Cat Hoekman, her husband David and two kids have created an elegantly-styled yet quirky retreat from the gloomy Seattle skies.
The Hoekmans renovated their home nine years after moving in, giving them time to perfect their vision for the space. They gutted everything with the exception of the downstairs guest bathroom, which they liked the way it was. With well-designed details such as the gorgeous red oak floors and a cozy fireplace stove, the house is so warm and inviting that I was ready to put my feet up and begin rummaging through their excellent book collection with a cup of tea. Contrasting patterns with pops of bright color keep the house playful and sweet, the perfect place for two kids and a sun-loving cat.
This family is a crafty bunch! As an avid quilter, Catarina's designated sewing room holds several projects in the works (check out her handiwork in the master bedroom), and every family member's personal space is an illustration of their individuality. From homemade Dr. Who nesting dolls to trophies and tokens, the kids' rooms were bursting with personality and two of my favorite stops on the tour. My delight was definitely in the details, and this home has many nestled in nooks and crannies around the house.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Scandinavian Eclectic
Inspiration: Swedish homes
Favorite Element: Our kitchen/dining room, and all the light in our house
Proudest DIY: Built-in bookcases
Biggest Indulgence: Our fire stove, which we love.
Best Advice: Live for a while in your space before choosing colors.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- • Benjamin Moore : Navajo Redbrand (entry)
• C2 : Palamino (living room)
• C2: Pumpkin Spice (dining room)
• Benjamin Moore : Sesame Seed (dining room)
- • Flooring : Ceramic Tiles (imitation slate - more durable than the real thing)
- • Flooring : Red Oak (throughout the house)
• Felted Sheepskin & Felted Pillow (on couches) : Leah Adams of Spiderfelt
• Cherry Wood Chair : Found, re-upholstered in Swedish fabric
• Round Table : Danish antique - early 1900s
• Fire Stove : Wittus, soapstone cladding
- • Island : Soapstone
• Counters : Richlite
- • Bed & Dresser : Dania
Thanks, David & Cat!
Images: Andie Wurster
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.