This is from our DC finalist, Caroline. Comment away!
Name: Drew & Syd
Location: Washington, DC
Type: Row house
Size: 750 square feet
Years lived in: 1 year
>> Enter House Tour
Syd and Drew found a wonderful old row house in NW DC that needed a lot of work. The house was a great price in an upcoming neighborhood but it needed to be completely gutted. Rather than finding this overwhelming they embraced the challenge. They knew they could start fresh and maximize the space's potential. With a small budget Syd & Drew spent a lot of time researching products online and looking for deals. Well know business such as E-bay, Ikea and Home Depot were not ruled out...
In the end they achieved a modern, functional, bright and open space. They took advantage of some smaller then normal appliances and watched the proportions so that nothing ever looked diminutive or out of scale. The open steel stair rail helped keep the airy feel from the 1st floor to the 2nd. Natural light from the skylight makes the bathroom appear to be twice as large. A tankless hot water heater was a must for the space saving advantages as well as being environmentally friendly. Syd says, "People are always shocked to learn that it's less then 800 square feet, it just doesn't feel small!"
Syd and Drew emphasized the bonus to living in a small house is that you can splurge and go high end on tile and accents since there is less space to cover.
• 18" dishwasher by GE Monogram
• Tankless water heater, gas heated by Rinnai
• Stainless steel stair railing: AGS Stainless in WA
• purchase on e-bay. Not standard width.
• By Ikea. Modified for more solid construction/install by contractor.
Kitchen counter tops and bar:
• custom order from Precision in D.C. Laminate.
Kitchen faucet purchased
• From Home Expo.
• hardwood floor: solid hardwood purchased from Lumber Liquidators
Tiles and Stone
• Bathroom tile: ceramic tile wall and floor by Porcelanosa
Kitchen backsplash tile:
• glass tile by Porcelanosa -They have a showroom in Rockville MD but we purchased the tile from Home Expo for less.
• Closet doors purchased pre-fab from Nuport available at Home Depot. Closet shelving from Container Store.