Then, the whole rigmarole started once again. We phoned Best Buy's customer service to get the handymen back to do the job that they were paid to do. For some reason, they wouldn't bring it up. Instead, we paid a neighborly contractor $50 to bring the stove up. Best Buy still owed us a gas range install, so we waited for their handyman to come. Once again, they failed to do what they were required to do. In the end, we used the same contractor to hook up the gas stove.
The gas range install service by Best Buy costs $140 per stove. We had paid this amount without getting any of it done by Best Buy. We haggled with them and got a gift card for the full amount of this install. To be honest, we expected more from them but it was a valuable lesson on how to deal with big box stores and contractors.
5 Tips For Affordable Appliance Installation:
1. If you can do it yourself, go ahead. If you can't, rely on professionals.
2. Always rely on contractors that you trust.
3. If service isn't rendered as promised, complain and ask for your money back.
4. If you get good service from a contractor, consider using him/her repeatedly.
5. If you offer contractors work during the winter, they will give you good prices. The winter is traditionally their off-season.