Our email inbox has been inundated with food and clothing drives this week, looking for support for the homeless. Even though folks are already overextended during the holiday season, we think this is the best time of year for decluttering.
- Location, Location, Location. During the holiday season, you're bound to find more drop-off sites and events that might be more convenient than a local thrift store. This makes giving back to the community an easy task on your part. We actually like to have a bag in our car, ready to go. It's likely we'll spot a drop off site for clothes during the holiday season--making it effortless on our part.
- It's the season of giving. Most folks are already in the mindset of giving during the holiday season--making it that much easier to turn to their own belongings to donate towards those that need it the most.
- Decluttering creates extra space. When we declutter, we're making room for our current things to breathe and the effort usually evokes some sort of change in our environment. Added space makes things easier to find, and allows new items to come into the space (without feeling cramped). Not to mention, the holiday season is when new items are coming into the home at a rapid pace. It only makes sense to make room for these items by donating.
How about our Apartment Therapy readers--do you find that you're more apt to declutter and donate this time of year?
- Spring Decluttering: Choose 5
- Spring Cleaning: Decluttering Your Life
- Tip: Our Best Decluttering Solution