Often it's the little things that bring a sense of playfulness into a home. Here's what we learned from the fun details in Amy's rooms (photos from left to right):
• 1 Using unexpected items as furniture, like this sled Amy has put to work as a coffee table, creates a relaxed and quirky vibe. We also love the idea of setting out a little tray of toy tops for guests to play with. (Amy has two children, so we imagine there are always plenty of takers for those tops.)
• 2 Typographical signs can be fun because they feel slightly out of place in a residence. Here, the "2" makes a sweet statement above a couple's bed.
• 3 Light shining through patterned paper makes any room feel like a party. Amy hangs pretty lanterns in a few of her rooms, but we love these parasol lights from her studio best. They might not work in every space, but for a creative workspace we think they're great.
• 4 To lend your home cozy warmth, create nooks and crannies using room dividers of various kinds. Amy uses a hinged shutter in her studio.
• 5 Of course it's easy to go overboard with this, but mixing and matching painted furniture can be a great way to lend your dining area or kitchen a sense of play. We love that pop of red against the blue curtain.
(Images: Amy Hanson)