What is it about the printed (not the computerized) word? According to the science fiction movies, we were supposed to be giving up books and magazines and newspapers by now. There are oh-so-many reasons to do it — ease, environment, health — but many of us cling to printed matter and swoon when we see a home filled with books. It looks, at the very least, cozy. So, in honor (or horror) of the fact that it is already that time of year when even in LA we're thinking about layers, we thought we'd take a look at decorating with books, Apartment Therapy Style.
Images: as linked above
MORE BOOKS & LIBRARIES
- Jon and Tyke's Modern Cabin House: Another look that can be recreated with backless Billy bookcases. Get the additions to make them extra high, arrange your books by color, add a colorful dhurrie rug and a classic mid-century modern chair and a blank corner becomes a cozy nook. Don't forget the collection of colorful pottery up top!
- Kerri and Luke's "Bang For Your Buck" Bungalow: That cozy dining room with its walls of books invites lingering, comfort food dinner parties and game nights. Gather up your books and a plethora of Billy Bookcases (leave the backs off to give them that built-in look) to make the look your own. A board run from one bookcase to another over a doorway not only connects two bookcases but further enhances the built-in look. Cover all four walls of a small room for a super cozy space to hole up in for the winter.
- Julie's Cozy Vibrant Revisited: Feel free to shy away from traditional bookshelves as Julie did. Her incredible and outlandishly tall stacks of books (a tongue in cheek nod to the stacks many of us seem to accumulate by our own bedsides) was created using the tallest version of the Sapien Bookcase.
- Another Great DIY Book Display: Who says front facing books are only for kids? If you're lacking a good sized art piece but have a lot of books with great covers, why not try this project. A little lumber, a little paint and you're good to go. We think a series of these would be amazing in a narrow hallway, almost like a gallery of pictures. Picture ledges are another way to go and show off your "too many to display on the coffee table anymore" collection of coffee table books in a narrow space, over a desk, in a bathroom or kitchen.
• Living With Books: Fitting a Library In Anywhere at Home
• Rooms Brimming with Book Collections
• Adding Color and Texture with Books