Name: Deirdre and Vito Donno (and cat Onzo)
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Size: 3,000 square feet
Years lived in: 16 years; Owned
Long time Brooklyn resident Deirdre Donno has an an unparalleled eye for style. After many years of working in fashion merchandising, she settled down to dedicate her style to boutique clothing store Otto in Park Slope. A joint venture between herself and fellow store owner Annette Englander, the boutique reflects her classically elegant style with an emphasis on local designers and high-quality forever pieces. That same philosophy can be seen in her home as well.
Walking through her brownstone, it is clear that each room has been decorated with love. Deirdre is a lover of style and design, and her home is always a work in progress. It's a mixture of new and vintage finds, with pieces being added when she comes across something special. Not one to buy for the sake of buying, Deirdre chooses everything with great care — most pieces a history and story. Many come from previous generations of her family and are cared for and lovingly displayed in the open and airy home that she shares with her husband and cat Onzo.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Traditional with a twist.
Inspiration: Finding things I love and finding a spot for them so I can enjoy.
Favorite Element: The Curtis Jere sculpture.
Biggest Challenge: To finish and complete.
What Friends Say: That the home is comfortable and inviting.
Biggest Embarrassment: My husband's Martin Logan speakers in the parlor.
Proudest DIY: Wooden floors by my husband Vito.
Biggest Indulgence: Pillows, glass, the pot filler in the the kitchen. The kitchen itself.
Best Advice: When renovating, start at the top and work to the bottom floor.
Dream Sources: Estate sales, finding things that have a history.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Pratt and Lambert - Cashew with Dove White Trim
- Chandelier - Family Heirloom
- Rugs - Estate Sale
- Setee - Stickley
- Chairs - Coastal Home, BridgeHampton
- Pillows - Aviva Stan
- Glass Bottles - Joe Cariati
- Table - Estate Sale
- Chair - Marika's in Shelter Island
- Chandelier - Family Heirloom
- Paint Color - Benjamin Moore's Antique Rose / Bright White
- Table - Family Heirloom
- Cabinets - Englander Cabinetry
- Paint Color: Benjamin Moore's Lemonade / Bright White (trim)
- Armoire - Best of France Antiques - Lambetrville, NJ
- Bed - Olde Good Things, NYC
- Dresser - Sterling Place, Brooklyn
- Linens - Frette
- Pillows - Sweet Charity, Brooklyn
- Toilet - Kohler
- Vanity - Family piece turned into sink
- Mirror - Domain
- Lighting - The Bowery
- Couch - Family Heirloom
- Ottoman - Stickley
- Rug - Estate Sale in NJ
- Trunk - Belonged to Grandfather
- Tables - Antique Store
- Chair - Gift from a friend
- Bookcase Turned Stereo Holder - Gift from Friend
- Chairs - Flea Market
- Table / Foot Stool - Vito Donno
- Pillows - Comerford, BridgeHampton
(Images: Liana Hayles Walker)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.