Though we've been using natural, eco-friendly toothpaste brands for decades, we sometimes wonder how they rate. Our personal experience has been excellent, but it's helpful to know what the professionals think. The Green Life recently asked five high-profile dentists for their own recommendations, and here's what they said: • Emanuel Layliev, director of the New York Center for Cosmetic Dentistry - Tom's of Maine Whole Care
• Fred Pockrass, co-founder of the Eco-Dentistry Association - PerioPaste from Bio-Pro Dental
• Mitch Marder, of Seattle's Integrated Dentistry - Coral White
• Joe Kravitz, author of Dirty Mouth - his own toothpaste recipe
• David Fields, of Fields Cosmetic and Family Dentistry - Kiss My Face Triple Action
The dentists considered factors like fluoride, sodium lauryl sulfate, sweeteners, animal testing, packaging, and flavor. And, yes, one of them actually recommended a DIY recipe!
• Read more: Dentists Name Their Favorite Eco-Toothpastes (The Green Life)
What kind of toothpaste do you use?
Related: Greening Our Habits: Tom's of Maine Toothpaste
(Image: Amber Byfield)