Name: Deron and Marye Miller, Son Conner - 15; Daughter Macee - 12; Boston Terriers Sparky, Slinger and Murphy and Chihuahua Wilbur
Location: Rollingwood — Austin, TX
Size: 4000 square feet
Years lived in: Owned 1 year
You know the state saying: "Everything's bigger in Texas." Because we have a little more room to stretch out here, our houses are sometimes larger than the norm. They still come packed with personality, efficient design ideas and inspiration, though, just like this house full of cute kids, lively dogs and lots of style!
Though the architecture firm Barley Pfeiffer did an excellent job with the design of this house in the Rollingwood neighborhood of Austin, it was still the home of an adventurous couple, their great-looking two young kids and a handful of energetic, friendly pups. Not only did this house have to fit their personality, but it also had to have a clean, clutter-free look to balance out the joyful chaos of a household full of kids and animals. Marye and Threshold Furniture & Design Studio designer Emily Basham-Hoelscher tackled this project with clean lines, smart storage ideas, colorful additions and fun accessories to create a house full of personality, but also respecting of the beautiful architecture.
New and existing furniture was kept low, loungey and friendly to kids and pets. Adventurous chairs allow for pops of personality and bring in interest. Newer accessories mix with older antiques that the family has collected from around the world. Built-ins in the dining area allow for storage of items that can be hidden and tucked away and were created to match the existing cabinetry. A cool storage/wall divider piece was built to help define the sitting area and break up the wide open space (and help keep the place clutter free). A color palette that excites the senses but is still cool and fits the architecture lets the furnishings, people and pets in the home really take center stage.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Modern with clean lines but warm and comfortable.
Inspiration: Geometry: clean shapes and balance. As an 'military brat', I grew up with worldly influences in art, furniture and decor; I've traveled the world and included unique pieces from all over in the design of our home.
Favorite Elements: It's a tie: the concrete floors are diamond polished concrete on the first floor, which stay nice and cool all year round due to proximity to the aquifer. I also love how the outdoor areas are an integral part of the home, and that the sliding doors can open up to the central courtyard when the weather is nice.
Biggest Challenge: The swimming pool is fantastic, but because it is chemical-free it can be a
challenge to keep it clean.
What Friends Say: They love the open, airy feel and flow. They also love the "outdoors in" feeling.
Biggest Embarrassment: With 4 dogs, the constant and horrible gas.
Proudest DIY: Not really one particular project, but working to make this modern home work with the way my family lives and maintaining that daily.
Biggest Indulgence: The custom built-ins really added personality and great storage, and are perfect for how we live.
Biggest Advice: Keep things simple and comfortable, but still show your personality.
Dream Source: Working with the team at Threshold to achieve exactly what I wanted
Resources of Note:
FRONT LIVING/DINING ROOM:
- • Moroso Highland Sectional Sofa
• Moroso Fjord Ottomans
• Custom Pillows with Maharam and Missoni Fabrics
• Foscarini Twiggy Floor Lamp
• "Box" Custom Walnut Cabinets and Painted White Shelving (a collaboration with Honea Woodworks)
• De La Espada Extending Dining Table
• De La Espada Dining Chairs
• Foscarini Big Bang Chandelier
• Custom Walnut Built-in Bar (a collaboration with Honea Woodworks)
• "Spin" Triptych Paintings by Rachel Ziegler
• Living Room Chair from Roche Bobois
• Lambswool Rug
- • Pedrali Glis Barstools
• Foscarini La Soleil Chandelier
• Delos Lux Shag Rug
• Custom Pillows with Missoni and Maharam Fabrics
• Custom Walnut and Painted White Media Storage Sideboard (a collaboration with Honea Woodworks)
• Existing Sofa
• Existing Barcelona style chairs
• Existing Stainless Coffee Table
• Small Bench from Roche Bobois
• Existing Floor Lamp
KITCHEN CABINETS & HARDWARE:
- • Alno
- • Threshold Furniture & Design
- • Threshold Furniture & Design
- • Architerra
- • Austintatious Blinds and Shutters
- • Collected pieces from all over the world; Dining Room paintings are from Ausitn Artist Rachel Ziegler
- • Sherwin Williams low VOC paints
- • G Krete Concrete
Images: Adrienne Breaux
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.