American style, like our citizens and cuisine, is hardly homogenous. Books on the subject are equally vast and varied — so much so that I bet no two Apartment Therapy writers would have the same list, which would be different than yours. With that in mind, here are 16 books that create a shelf on American style that is both informational and inspirational.Though hardly an exhaustive list, here are a shelf-full of texts on American style to get your library started:
American Style by Region
• Southern Rooms II: The Timeless Beauty of the American South
Southern style is an effortless mix of formal and casual, and this book showcases a variety of rooms below the Mason-Dixon with tips on how to recreate the look in your home.
• Southwest Style: A Home-Lover's Guide to Architecture and Design
For a New England girl, southwest style is delightfully foreign. This book features the weathered leather, Navajo rugs and Mexican tiles that are at home in the desert.
• Metropolitan Home American Style
Focusing on mainly urban, east coast interiors, expect the best of Metropolitan Home Magazine from this book.
American Style by Design Style
• Regency Redux: High Style Interiors: Napoleonic, Classical Moderne, and Hollywood Regency
The glitz and glamour of Hollywood has been exported across the globe. The regency style brings that luxuriousness to interiors within these pages, complete with a thorough history.
• American Art Deco: Modernistic Architecture and Regionalism
Art deco lent its aesthetic to many of our nation's greatest buildings. This beautifully photographed book showcases the details of the style.
American Style by Architecture
• Colonial Style: Creating Classic Interiors in Your Cape, Colonial, or Saltbox Home
As American as apple pie, this book is traditional style for your traditional home.
• American Bungalow Style
Featuring mostly California styles, this book on bungalows has tips for your smaller, handmade home.
• Modern American Houses: Fifty Years of Design in Architectural Record
Showcasing fifty of the best modern homes from Architectural Record Magazine, this book has work from industry visionaries such as Gehry and Meier.
• Ranch House Style
American suburbia is filled with ranch homes. Though of modest stature and humble beginnings, they don't have to be void of style. This book includes useful notes for living in and decorating a ranch, with more style options than the expected mid-century modern.
• The Farmhouse: New Inspiration for the Classic American Home
What is more idyllic Americana than the farmhouse? With varied styles across regions, this book highlights the rustic beauty of the working home.
History & Indexes of American Style
• American House Styles: A Concise Guide
A sort-of field guide for houses, this small book features simple line drawings and synopses of the major American home styles.
• American Shelter: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Homes
Similar to American House Styles, though this book goes more in depth with diagrams, histories and illustrations for house styles from 300 AD to present.
• Great American Houses and Their Architectural Styles
From the Founding Fathers to famous authors, the 25 famous homes in these pages are not only historically significant, but are all open to the public.
• Celebrating the American Home: 50 Great Houses from 50 American Architects
50 homes by 50 architects: each unique, yet distinctly American. Get an intimate look with over 6 pages devoted to each home.
• Four Centuries of American Furniture
An in-depth textbook on the history of American furniture, including regional differences and origins of inspiration, from the first settlers to the modern era.
• America: A History in Art: The American Journey Told by Painters, Sculptors, Photographers, and Architects
Because nothing tells a story quite like a picture, here's a history book on America as told through art and artists.
Please add your recommendations and favorite books on American style to the comments below...
Images: from Amazon, as linked above.