Chinoiserieis a French term meaning "Chinese-esque," the name for a style that emerged alongside Rococo in the 17th and 18th centuries.
This European decorative style was popular due to its exotic feel during a time when travel to the Far East was rare and difficult. This also made its use a status symbol for the wealthy. It's characterized by whimsical and detailed imagery, scenes of nature, and the use of porcelain and lacquer to imitate traditional Chinese and Japanese designs.
• Trending: Incorporating Chinoiserie in the Home
• de Gournay Wallpapers
• The Victoria and Albert Museum's guide to Chinoiserie
1. Trending: Incorporating Chinoiserie, Apartment Therapy
2. Sources for Chinoiserie, Apartment Therapy
3. Flickr user Philippe de la Boirie, licensed under Creative Commons
4. Roundup: Modern Chinoiserie, Apartment Therapy