On a recent rainy day, I caught myself absentmindedly engaging in one of my favorite pastimes of perusing Airbnb listings not for places to stay on my next vacation, but for inspiration from exotic dream houses I might could live in one day. And possibly even ideas for the home I live in now!
On this particular perusal, house boats were taking up a lot of my attention. Though I haven't a nautical bone in my body and probably even get sea sick and just don't know it, the thought of a compact floating home able to shove off at any time is appealing, and some of the house boat listings I spotted on Airbnb were filled with surprising design ideas. They certainly make me want to take a trip!
1) When you've got a small space you can splurge on good design. Houseboat Amstel river next to park, Netherlands
2) Minimalism is not only necessary, but lovely. Garp houseboat, Turkey
3) Function can and should become a decor focal point. Romantic Prinsengracht House Boat, Netherlands
4) Make the most of space, even if the idea's a little unusual. (Is that a half table attached to what used to be a fireplace?!) Houseboat Eiffel Tower, France
5) Dark wood can bring drama and be balanced beautifully with color. Boat & Breakfast with Optional Sail, Bainbridge Island, Washington
Do you ever dream of one day living in a home that's a little unusual, either by size, shape or type? Or are you content to settle for just staying in fun places while on vacation? (And if you are in the mood to stay on a house boat, Airbnb has rounded up a lot of great ones in one place: I'm on a Boat.)