Last week we went down to Hayes Valley to check out the new location of Birch, one of our favorite local florists, and the shop did not disappoint. Brightly colored blooms and shapely white containers pop against an all-black backdrop, creating an unmistakable air of glamour. We left with a few design ideas that could easily translate to the home...
Here are some ideas inspired by our visit to the beautifully designed new location of Birch:
• Perch a tall, full vase of branches high up on a shelf to create a dramatic, almost canopied effect over a space.
• Opaque white vases are brilliant containers for bouquets, both because they don't detract from the blooms themselves and because they hide away messy stems for a sleek, clean look.
• Black paint is not for the faint of heart, but we think in the right room it could be used to great effect to really accentuate the colors and shapes of furnishings.
• For a display of reading material, consider stacking books or magazines along a narrow shelf with their covers facing out, choosing your favorite artistic cover designs to expose. Overlap books with magazines to keep the display from looking like a newsstand.
• Birch carries gorgeous paper flowers cut from magazine and newspaper pages. The images give the petals a distinctly modern look, with graphic shapes and patterns created from type and photographs. Want to try making them yourself? Check out the ideas and tutorials in this post from Apartment Therapy: Chicago.
(Images: Susie Nadler)