In my first apartment, I painted a 14 foot wall of my bedroom in stripes. Owing to my extreme fastidiousness, it took a laser level and the better part of a day, but I was extremely satisfied with the results. If you have the time - and the patience - painting (or wallpapering) your place with bold black and white stripes could be just the thing to add a little bit of drama.
Since black and white stripes are naturally attention-grabbing, they work best in a setting where there's not a lot of other things to compete, like a powder room, guest bedroom, or entry hall. It will help to keep the rest of the color scheme fairly simple to avoid fatigue.
What do you think - are black and white stripes bold and dramatic? Or just a little over the top?
1. A bold entry hall from Country Living.
2. Stripes enliven a previously blah bedroom from Design*Sponge.
3. This bathroom at the Women's Collection store is just another reason to love J.Crew. From Lonny.
4. Resin striped coffee tables by Madegoods.
5. Shy about painting a whole wall? Try painting just the door.
6. I love the look of these stripes in varying widths.
7. Black and white is just as dramatic on the table as on the wall. Photo (and a recipe!) from BS in the Kitchen. You can buy your own striped pasta from Amazon.
8. A striped living room from Lonny.
9. The stripes in this sunny bedroom from Country Living are made with chalkboard paint.
10. Fashionable stripes on stripes from the Sartorialist.
Images: as linked above.