With many weddings being DIY affairs these days, you don't have to be limited to the typical wedding arbors of more traditional ceremonies — no need for elaborate arches filled with flowers, or layers of organza draped over a canopy. Look to these beautiful, handcrafted backdrops that really add a special touch to your wedding theme or venue.
1. This Milwaukee warehouse wedding (photographed by Tammy Horton Photography and seen on Style Me Pretty) softened up an industrial space with a long roll of butcher paper handwritten (by the bride and groom themselves!) with sweet poetry.
2. An oversized chalkboard at this New York wedding makes a highly personal and elegant backdrop that also honors the families involved. Artwork by Brooklyn artist Dana Tanamachi; photo by Jenny Jimenez, via Style Me Pretty.
4. And speaking of frame, this backyard barn wedding (by Alec Vanderboom via Green Wedding Shoes) did just that — and on a grand scale! The couple were married in front of a huge wooden frame that perfectly complemented their rustic decor.
5. If you can't forego the flowers, try flowers that are a little out of the ordinary. This beach inspiration shoot (by Ben Q. Photography via Style Me Pretty) used driftwood and xerographica for an understated and sophisticated wedding arch.
6. It looks like layers of long sashes draped from the ceiling, but look closely and you'll realize that the backdrop at this Kansas City wedding (photographed by Scott Townsley and seen on 100 Layer Cake) is crafted from rolls of receipt paper! (The wedding planners were inspired by an Anthropologie display.)
7. When you know you're going to go all night with your wedding, why not start the ceremony off right with a lively party atmosphere? This Los Angeles wedding (by Birds of a Feather Photo via Green Wedding Shoes) featured a backdrop of huge balloons with strings of bistro lights dangling from the ceiling.
8. The bride from this Malibu wedding (by Ashley Rose via Green Wedding Shoes) wanted a colorful and whimsical wedding... and color and whimsy is definitely what she got! The couple's amazing arch is just bursting with paper florals, pinwheels and kites.
10. A curtain of fringed ribbon adds a fun and flirty feel to a rustic wooden arch at this California county fair wedding (by Tom Tomkinson via 100 Layer Cake). It also looks beautiful outdoors with a gentle breeze blowing!
(Images: As linked above)