Read Morgane's entry below, and view her portfolio to learn more about this fabulous intern. Congratulations, Morgane, from the entire Apartment Therapy team! We look forward to hearing about your experiences with David Stark's team in a post to be featured on Apartment Therapy later this summer.
Morgane will get the chance to gain invaluable experience interning at David Stark Design and Production, a full service event design, planning and production company in NYC. She'll be working side-by-side with the design department in every facet of the design and production process.
Morgane hails from Paris, France, where she attended the École de Communication Visuelle. Here is what she shared with us in her submission:
(I am a) Traveler, I spent half of my life in foreign countries. A childhood in Brazil, Bahrein and Kuwait because of my fathers' job, a first professional experience in Dubai, then back in Kuwait. After that I discovered North America by living three years in Montreal. From there, I had the chance to visit New York several times. I'm definitely taking my inspirations from those travels but also from the amazing people I met while working on brand project.
Back in France since October 2011, I'm planning to go back to school in 2013 at l'Ecole Boulle, a worldwide renowned French art school, to study interior design.
Moreover, I'm thinking about creating my own Homeware collection within the coming years.
About my portfolio: the first project - VOTE MO - is entirely dedicated to the David Stark team.
Hope you will enjoy my work and that I'll get the rich opportunity to work with the team in New York.
You can view Morgane's portfolio here. We look forward to hearing more about her exciting internship later this summer.
About David Stark
David Stark is celebrated for his innovative, imaginative events for a wide range of high-wattage celebrity clients such as Beyoncé Knowles, Martha Stewart, Mariska Hargitay, Glenn Close and Jon Stewart, major corporations such as Target, TBS and Condé Nast, as well as high-visibility fund-raising galas for the nation's most elite not-for-profit organizations including The Museum of Modern Art and The Robin Hood Foundation.
- A thirty foot tornado constructed from thousands of sneakers donated by Nike created a breathtaking centerpiece at a Robin Hood Foundation annual gala.
- An aerial installation created from thousands of lines of flagging tape established the theme for the American Friends of the Israel Museum's gala.
- For the opening of the new Michael Graves wing at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, a paper fantasy setting referenced William Morris flowers in the museum's collection.
- WHAT: 3-month full-time internship with David Stark Design and Production.
- DATES: June 15 - September 15, 2012
- WHAT YOU DO: Work side-by-side with the Design team (and David!) in every facet of the design process (see below for full job description).
- STIPEND: Lunch and daily transportation to and from the office via public transportation.
- WHAT YOU GET:
- Full immersion in all phases of current design projects, including onsite install experience.
- Exposure as David's intern on Apartment Therapy, including a post on your experiences!
- A fully commissioned "Holiday Party 2012" design project for Apartment Therapy in December.
- One hour consultation with David, where he will help you curate and edit your portfolio.
- WHY: Great networking opportunity, priceless exposure to and experience with top NYC events and major organizations, and a gateway to future full-time job possibilities.
- HOW IT WORKS: Enter your submission below to be considered as a finalist. David Stark's team will choose six finalists for final selections.
Job Description - Design Department Intern
David Stark Design and Production is a leading event design and production company, responsible for creating some of the most celebrated event experiences worldwide for a broad range of clientele in the entertainment, fashion, publishing, arts, media and consumer products industries.
This internship will allow candidates to experience everything it takes to design a one-time, visually spectacular event within often very narrow parameters. The intern will be challenged to find elegant solutions to complex problems.
The Design Intern will work closely with the 8 full-time members of our design department. We are looking for commitment from 10 am to 6 pm Monday through Friday.
Responsibilities will include:
- Involvement in brainstorming, image research and idea generation for new events
- Assisting with the creation of production graphics
- Assisting with the creation of floorplans and renderings
- Assisting with the creation of client presentation packages
- Sourcing of materials and vendors
- Studio sample making and process troubleshooting
- Archiving of past event images and documents
- Assisting with the creation and assembly of press kits
- Pursuing ongoing design projects, including new furniture design
We are looking for independent, self-motivated candidates who have a design background and are able to work well with a team. Candidates must have good communication skills and a professional demeanor.
- Illustrator Proficiency
- Photoshop Proficiency
- AutoCAD LT Proficiency
- Basic Drawing Skills
- 2D to 3D Visualization Skills