Last Thursday night, Chicago design lovers gathered at DWR North Avenue for the 4th Annual Modern+Design+Function competition party. Fifteen designs were chosen out of a field of over 150 submissions to be shown at the event, so, this really is one of those "to be nominated is to win" type of competitions. Nevertheless, 2 out of the 15 were singled out for special mention...
Best in Show: Billet Chaise by Michael Dreeben
Best Green Design: Landscape by Andrew J. Reichold
Two more of our favorites:
Dining Table by Jason Lewis
X-tension Tables by John Blomstrom/Hadahunch
...and a little more Party.
I had the honor of being one of the MDF judges this year and it was a fantastic experience. The first round of judging when we went from 150 entries to 15 finalists, was all on paper. It was so great to walk into DWR last week and see the 15 choices move from 2-d renderings to the full size 3-d pieces. Janel Allgeier, head of the North Ave. Studio, is working on a longer showing of the pieces at a gallery this summer - we'll be sure to let you know the details as they become available.
Congratulations to all of the MDF designers! Here is the full list for 2008:
- Edgewater Table by Lisa and Ron Elkins
- X-tension Tables by John Blomstrom/Hadahunch
- Landscape and Pilsen Chair by Andrew J. Reichold
- Billet Chaise by Michael W. Dreeben
- Echo Screen by Brian Peters/DesignLabWorkshop
- HelloGoodbye and File Folder by Eric Mackey
- Coffee Table by Aaron Dejule
- Jen + Civ's Wedding Table by Randall Kramer/Kramer Design Studio
- Fan Furniture by Geoffrey Baldwin
- Big Table by Scott Chambers/Fine Woodworks Inc.
- Dining Table by Jason Lewis
- Inside Out Space by Mark Klien and Franco Diterlizzi
- Notchback Stavn by Eric Stevens/Felt Studio