Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Queensbury, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- Everything! It is the perfect home: old, charming, cozy, and small. It is our sanctuary. We live, cook great meals, make music, read, write, and rest here. Many new homes being built around us are well over 2,000 sq. ft. and some are double that size. I would feel funny in a space that large.
When I first saw the ad for our home in the paper eleven years ago, it was everything we told the realtor we didn't want. But, after seeing it during an open house I fell in love, and my husband soon followed suit.
Soon after moving in, we installed a beautiful wood stove which increases the cozy factor during long fall/winter seasons. The previous owners also installed giant windows in the kitchen addition at the back of the house. I've seen deer, fox, turkeys, and all kinds of other wildlife in the back yard over the years.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- Well, like other people who live in smaller spaces, we believe in William Morris's notion that one should "...have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." Keep it simple and keep clutter to a minimum. There have been two big challenges: lack of closet space on the first floor and no room for guests. To add bathroom storage, we installed two cabinets to replace the single small vanity that was here when we moved in. We use the stairwell to the basement to store things on shelves that we built. Last spring (after living here for ten years), we were finally able to renovate the kitchen. With the help of a wonderful local kitchen/appliance store, I redesigned the kitchen to include an additional four cabinets. When guests visit, we give them our "attic" bedroom and we sleep on the sofa bed in the living room. We have drapes on a tension rod that hangs in the doorway between the living and dining rooms. This gives everyone some privacy.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- We would put a new floor in the bedroom! A year ago we ripped out the rose colored bedroom rug, circa 1988. It had been steam cleaned over and over, but was no longer coming clean. Now we are walking on the subflooring and it would be great to put something clean and new.
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool 2013