Name: Dina Brown: Art Dealer/Gallery Owner – Gallery Brown
Location: West Hollywood – Los Angeles, California
Size: 1100 square feet
Years lived in: 5 years
Dina reluctantly landed at this West Hollywood apartment after a quick move from a larger space; disappointed to give up the yard and her dreams of large holiday dinner parties, she moved very quickly and found this place on a whim, yet over time, she grew to love her new apartment and began to put in the TLC to make it a home.
I love Dina's choice of highly saturated hues on her dining room and bedroom walls. The dining room color adds sophistication to the small room, and the bright red walls in the bedroom definitely add excitement. Each room in her home seems to take on its own distinct personality, especially the bathroom. Doesn't it feel a bit like a party?
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: A mix of vintage and modern; eclectic.
Inspiration: Old Hollywood meets new Hollywood
Favorite Element: Anything sentimental, either furniture from a friend or something I've brought home from my travels.
Biggest Challenge: Trying to create the feeling of grandeur in a small space!
What Friends Say: One friend said it feels "grown up," and they usually are joking about my DIY nature. It's usually painting and minor electrical!
Biggest Embarrassment: I love super white paint, true "gallery white"… and that white gloss trim is in a perpetual state of yellowing. It drives me nuts!
Proudest DIY: Definitely painting the interior stairwell that spans two stories, without a ladder! I used a 12 foot extension pole and duct taped a brush to the end of it for edge work. I don't think I'll be painting anything for a while.
Biggest Indulgence: Expensive mattresses and bedding, bringing in fresh flowers as often as possible.
Best Advice: I give the advice that a 30 dollar gallon of paint is a game changer. There's no larger surface element in a room and if the walls look great, everything else is elevated.
Dream Sources: Modern One in LA: incredible vintage furniture.
Resources of Note:
- Liz's Antique Hardware… no finer source for any type of vintage (and modern) hardware. Liz's is awe inspiring!
- Home Depot / Martha Stewart collection. Bedroom: Beet, Dining Room: Anvil
- A-1 Floor Covering Co.: (for true sheet or square linoleum - which is actually a "green" product) that's a future project
RUGS & CARPETS
- eBay: vintage Persians/ Wiltons, etc.
- Room Service: custom daybed
- Beautyrest / Simmons Mattress Gallery on Beverly @ Orlando
- James Georgopoulos (camera in living room)
- John Lurie (original bird and print with rabbit in dressing room)
- Andy Warhol (in bedroom)
- Julian Schnabel (in hallway)
- (all available at Gallery Brown)
- Posteritati: vintage posters, US and International
(Images: Marcia Prentice)
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.