The dishwasher just may be the unsung hero of kitchen appliances. It sits there hidden under the counter, but does so much dirty work while you get on with your day, sit and enjoy company, or relax after dinner. Sure it's a luxury, but once you have one, you can't imagine life without it — right? Here's a small guide to get you started on your dishwasher search.
What you're looking for depends on your lifestyle, routine and decor style. Of course there's lots of nitty gritty info to consider when buying a dishwasher but why not start with style? We've broken it down into four categories: modern, vintage, and industrial.
If you like a modern look and like to keep up with the latest technology then consider one of these:
SHOP MODERN DISHWASHERS
1. Samsung WaterWall Dishwasher: Modern and sleek design with WaterWall™ Technology revolutionizes cleaning with a bar, on the bottom rack, that glides back and forth to deflect high pressure water in all directions, creating a wall of water that gets into hard to reach places. Best Buy, $899
2. Frigidaire Gallery Dishwasher: A modern take on white appliances with this dishwasher. Get 4x more water coverage with the Orbitclean® Wash System. It can hold up to 14 place settings so host dinner parties galore or use the quick 30 min. clean for days you're strapped for time. Frigidaire, $699
3. Whirlpool Front Control Dishwasher: A modern yet affordable stainless steel look. You'll have more room for dishes in the lower rack with the AnyWare Plus silverware basket and save energy with AccuSense soil sensor that determines how dirty dishes are and adapts the Normal cycle as needed for customized cleaning. Home Depot, $348
4. Kitchen Aid Top Control Dishwasher with Window: A sleek modern design with a Window with Lighted Interior so you can inspect dishes before removing them. The Clean Water Wash System continuously removes food particles from the wash water for excellent performance; plus, there's no need to ever remove and clean the filter. Home Depot, $1119
There's not a large selection or lots of bells and whistles with this group but they'll help clean your dishes while adding a whole bunch of personality and style to your kitchen.
SHOP VINTAGE DISHWASHERS:
1. Heartland Classic Collection Dishwasher: This vintage inspired design has 9 different cycles to cater to your needs with Luxury Quiet sound and Smartsoil™ Sensor Responsive technology that delivers a more effective, more efficient clean by continuously monitoring water purity to determine exactly how long a cycle should run. AJ Madison, $1999
2. Big Chill Retro Dishwasher: This retro dishwasher is Energy Star efficient and feature gorgeous chrome handles for that iconic 50s flair with all the basic technology you need to get your dishes clean and over 200 custom colors to choose from. Big Chill, $1895
3. Smeg Dishwasher: Get a 50s retro feel with this dishwasher. It fits 13 place settings and 9 cycle options and will add some great personality to your kitchen with 11 different color options. AJ Madison, $1499
4. Northstar Dishwasher Panel: Get the vintage look on your own pick of dishwasher with this retro-style panel. It fits most fully integrated panel-ready model 24″ wide dishwashers that accept panels. Northstar, $399
If you like to get serious in the kitchen and treat it like your own little restaurant then consider one of these industrial style dishwashers that can keep up with you.
SHOP INDUSTRIAL STYLE DISHWASHERS:
1. Bosch 300 Series Dishwasher: Boasted as the quietest dishwasher brand. The 3rd rack adds versatility and offers 30% more loading capacity and FlexSpace™ Tines fold back to fit your larger pots & pans. Sears, $989
2. GE Café Series Dishwasher: This stainless steel dishwasher will give you the ultimate clean from an industry-leading number of jets that deliver complete washing coverage to every corner of the dishwasher. GE, $1699
3. Kitchen Aid Dishwasher: This sleek industrial style top control dishwasher harnesses the power of 9 Dynamic Wash Arms to provide complete water coverage and superior cleaning. Home Depot, $1169
4. Maytag Front Control Dishwasher: This stainless steel dishwasher has the most powerful motor on the market among leading brand and 4-Blade stainless steel chopper disintegrates food particles. Lowes, $449