Renting can be a drag, but the good news is that you can still have a super stylish space on a budget if you're willing to put in a bit of DIY work — and the even better news is, you can take your masterpiece with you. Here are 10 DIY decor solutions that you can take with you when you move.
Whether it's lighting, storage, furniture, decor or flooring, there are some great solutions out there to help you make your rental space your own or solve a design problem without any big commitments.
1. Make your own beautiful ombre pendant light following this tutorial from Martha Stewart.
2. A reclaimed wood headboard to fall in love with, spotted on House Tweaking.
3. Extra storage is always in demand for renters. Make your own cool looking industrial media stand like this one from A Beautiful Mess.
4. If you have to store your stuff out in the open, it should look beautiful. Make some mirror wall hangers, as seen on Homey Oh My.
5. Make your own trendy arm swing wall sconce that you can easily take with you, like this one from a past Apartment Therapy tutorial.
6. More closet space is a common renter problem. The solution is to make your own rolling clothing rack like this one featured on Design Sponge.
7. Cover up ugly floors that you can't change with a DIY painted rug, spotted on Better Homes & Gardens.
8. Make your own custom coffee table with old wood pallets, like this stylish piece from The Merrythought.
9. If your rental kitchen could use a little more counter space and storage, try making your own island that can move with you later, as seen on HGTV.
10. Don't sacrifice any style because you're renting. Enjoy cocktail hour with this DIY bar cart that will last you forever, spotted on Effortless Chic.
(Image credits: Martha Stewart; House Tweaking; A Beautiful Mess; Homey Oh My; Apartment Therapy; Design Sponge; Better Homes & Gardens; The Merry Thought; HGTV online; The Effortless Chic)