Backyard fire pits are a welcome addition to almost any yard, big or small. They provide light when it's dark out, warmth on cool nights, a place for the kiddos to roast marshmallows, and the perfect ambiance for sharing cocktails among friends.
I spent a year hunting down a vintage Preway fireplace, but had I not been lucky enough to find one, I surely would have gone the DIY route. Here are 10 ideas for creating an outdoor fire pit — from the super cheap to the DIY extraordinaire.
1. Boulder and Black Glass Pebble Fire Pit, Jeffrey Gordon Smith Landscape Architecture via Houzz.
2. How To Make an Eco Outdoor Fire, Apartment Therapy.
3. Concrete Bowl, Wok and Pillar Fire Pit, Ink Rust and Sawdust.
4. Custom Stone Fire Pit, The Harpster Home.
5. Galvanized Tub Campfire Fire Pit, My Recipes.
6. Metal Washing Machine Basin Fire Pit, The Flourishing Abode.
7. Welded Steel Fire Pit, The Brick House.
8. Personal Gel Fuel Fire Pit, The Art of Doing Stuff.
9. Stainless Steel Drum Fire Pit, Instructables.
10. And for the cautious DIY'er, how about a faux fire pit? Birdbath Mini Candle Fire Pit, Sunset.
Be sure to take precaution when choosing the location of your fire pit and it's also always wise to check your local regulations and fire codes.
(Image credits: Houzz; Apartment Therapy; Ink Rust and Sawdust; The Harpster Home; My Recipes ; The Flourishing Abode; The Brick House; The Art of Doing Stuff; Instructables; Sunset)