Molly Dye’s Survival Manual has so much advice in it, it was hard to choose which to share. Hopefully these are helpful to some of you.
1. Bicarbonate Soda: deodorise carpets by sprinkling with bicarbonate soda, leave overnight, and vacuum.
2. Remove carpet stains by sprinkling equal parts cornflour and bicarbonate soda, leave on for an hour, then vacuum off.
3. Unblock a sink or drain: place 1 tablespoon soda and 3 tablespoons of vinegar in sink. Let it fizz, then pour a kettle of boiling water on it to clear the blockage.
4. Bicarbonate soda can be used as a dry shampoo for dogs and cats.
5. Cut flowers: Crush or split the ends of woody or semi woody stems before putting in vase so they can absorb more water.
6. Adding an aspirin to water will prolong the flower’s life.
7. Furniture: Make drawers run smoothly by smoothing runners with fine sandpaper, then rub with dry soap or candle wax.
8. Remove white rings from wet glasses on wooden furniture by mixing equal parts linseed oil and turpentine. Rub on ring marks then apply polish.
9. Remove sticky tape from varnished wood: spray well with window cleaner and leave for a bit. Tape will come off without leaving marks.
10. Brighten dulled leather chairs by rubbing with half a lemon or stale beer then polish with a dry cloth.
11. Picture frames: glue a strip of sandpaper or foam rubber along the lower edge to make it hang straight.