Sometime last year, on a whim I decided to see what it would look like to paint text onto a tea towel...or if it would even work at all. In the process I played around with some random patterns as well, and my two favorites from the project ended up being the "Oui" text and painted polka-dotted versions. They aren't especially professional looking, but I think the imperfections make them charming.
Tea Towel Supplies:
• Masking tape
• Solid work surface
• Scrap cardboard or thick paper (such as an old grocery bag)
• Fabric paint - I used Tulip brand Soft paint (it dries flat, not puffy)
• Paint dish - I just used a small saucer
• Coarse paint brushes - I found that the kind with the rounded tops tend work best for writing text
• Flour sack kitchen towels - I bought my set at Target. They are not super high quality, but they work perfectly for this project and are very affordable.
Iron and ironing board (optional) - You may want to iron your towels before use. I didn't for mine, but it probably would have been a good idea.
(Images: Creature Comforts)