Here's an easy DIY project for discarded twigs and branches: turn them into push pins! Such a fun idea. It's practically free, too, and only takes about 30 minutes to make.
- twigs, .25″ – 1″ diameter (at least 10″ long – so you can keep your fingers away from the saw)
- saw (if you have or know someone who has a chop saw, good. that makes this project awesomely fast. if not, a simple hand saw will do work fine because these are so tiny)
- small t-pins
- mall finishing nails (1.5″ long)
- super glue (the gel is preferable, but any strong glue will work)
- needle-nose pliers (with a cutting edge)
- safety goggles and mask (for use during sawing)
- t-pins, nails: $3
- twigs, tools, etc: free, on hand
See the whole tutorial and more pictures at Design*Sponge!