While we love a good DIY over here at Apartment Therapy, we don't always have the time to commit to creating something from scratch. Clever hacks allow us to take something simple or inexpensive and use it as a starting point for a project. We've rounded up a few such projects, taking a basic rug as a base and creating something new.
1. Striped Rug Pillows DIY via Martha Stewart.
Dear Martha, you never disappoint. A collection of simple striped pillows takes advantage of the fringed edge for the perfect beach-casual vibe.
2. DIY Floor Poufs via Style Me Pretty
You would never guess that this pretty pouf was a DIY.
3. Large Tapestry Wall Hanging via A Beautiful Mess
Wall hangings are big right now and this project is perfect if you want the look but don't want to wile away hours on a loom (of spend big bucks to purchase one.)
4. $50 Ottoman Makeover via Teal and Lime.
An ottoman gets a serious makeover with the help of a $50 rug.
5. Ikea Floor Mat Pouf DIY via Retropolitan
You can pick up the majority of the supplies at Ikea for under $10, which in and of itself is a win, and the results themselves are amazing.
6. DIY Sheepskin Stool via Splendid Habitat
A sheepskin rug from Ikea glams up a basic stool.
7. Rag Rug Pillow via Hake Haus
A colorful rag rug gets a new lease on life adorning the sofa.
8. DIY Donut Rug via the House That Lars Built
While technically, this is more of a "rug upgrade" the results are so dramatic (and colorful! and fun!) we thought it worth including in our list.
9. Rag Rug Bench DIY via A Little Glass Box
The unexpected texture that this reupholstery brings is a fun take on a classic style.
10. DIY Seagrass Headboard via Preciously Paired
A sisal rug is a brilliant way to create this beach cottage style headboard .