There are few things more wholesome for the summer than traditional games played outdoors on the lawn. Whether you are planning a birthday party, a 4th of July celebration, or just want to have summer fun all season long, these tutorials can help you build one or more traditional games to play in the yard.
1. Outdoor Word Game at Better Homes and Gardens. Essentially a giant version of Bananagrams, the lawn word game is a cross between scrabble and a do-it-yourself crossword puzzle.
2. Giant Ker-plunk Game at All Parenting. Like the tabletop game invented in the 1960s, this lawn version requires players to remove straws one at a time without letting any of the balls drop into the pit.
3. Ladder Golf at DIY Network. Instead of golf balls, use tennis balls for your bolas. And if you are playing by official rules, remember, "Basic etiquette of Ladder Golf states that contestants should make as many remarks, sounds or movements as possible during play in order to distract the opponent’s during play."
4. Cornhole at DIY Network. Really, you can't beat the name of this game. This tutorial follows the specifications laid out by the American Cornhole Association. (Yes, it's a real organization.)
5. Lawn Dominoes at So You Think You're Crafty. Pull out the big guns when you play this supersized version of traditional dominoes.
Do you have a favorite summer lawn game? Let us know in the comments!