Instead of giving your run of the mill birthday gifts this summer, we love the idea of creating something a bit more thoughtful like this Nature Explorer Set Pink and Green Mama's son gave a friend for his 6th birthday last year. Here's what she included:• A backyard field guide that they created themselves in a three ring binder with information on local birds, insects, etc.
• A nature journal for recording observations
• Empty jars for collecting and viewing "specimens"
• A homemade leaf and flower press
• A couple of toys from the Discovery Store- bug marbles and a fossil collection
• a repurposed mini quiche holder for sorting rocks.
Everything was packaged together in a little backpack! What a great idea that also provides a child an activity throughout the summer. I'm sure the parent will appreciate less "stuff" and more "experience".
Via Pink and Green Mama.
(Image: Pink and Green Mama)