Coat trees are one of those things that are often ugly, expensive, or both. For a sleek and minimalist place to hang your hat (and jacket), Ashley from Bigger Than the Three of Us offers these easy instructions:
Skill Level: Easy
Time Required: 1 hour
Project Cost: under $7
What You Need
- 5 5-foot conduit pipes
2 zip ties
Colored yarn or string
- Pipe bender
- Measuring tape
1. For the base, create a 90-degree bend by marking the pipe at 3 inches and using the pipe bender to start the curve. Add another 5 inches and bend to finish the angle.
2. Double check your bend to make sure the pipe is going to be level at the top.
3. Continue bending the bottoms of the rest of the pipes.
4. For the tops of the coat rack, mark at 2 inches and create a 45-degree bend on the opposite end of the pipe. Then mark at 6 inches and make a 90-degree bend in the other direction. This creates the "hooks" at the top of the rack.
5. Finish bending the tops of all 5 pipes and use the zip ties to secure them together. Cover the zip ties with yarn (or anything else you choose) and enjoy the new coat hanger.
Have a really great DIY project or tutorial that you want to share with others? Let us know! We love checking out what you're making these days, and learning from our readers. When you're ready, click here to submit your project and photos.