1. How to Put Together Your Own DIY Loudspeaker: Former Unplggd contributor, Peter Treadway, put together some impressive floor speakers with his very own hands, sharing a series of updates about the process of piecing together a low cost and fairly simple construction audio solution. Of course, as anything audio related, opinions started flying...
2. Mason Jars Make Great Speakers: This could be a low risk pet project for someone who wants to start out small before tackling something more complicated.
3. Etsy Speakers: If you're not willing to try and make your own speakers, or you're just worried that you'll end up with a pile of rubbish, then you can check out the DIY speakers available on Etsy. There are plenty of tinkerers who already sell their DIY speakers, and some of the designs and features available blow away similarly-priced mass-produced speakers at your local big box store.
4. DIY Loudspeakers Resource: This site has a lot of information about components and options, and it will help you decide how to orient your DIY project for your exact needs. There are plenty of diagrams and photos for visually orientated DIY enthusiasts to get you started on your 1st DIY speaker project.
5. DIY Speaker Wires: Perhaps you'd like to walk before your run? If a whole speaker project seems too daunting, maybe you can start out by making your own speaker wires as a 1st step. Good wires can make your speakers sound better (though there's much debate about how much so if you've ever been to a home audio show or read a home audio discussion board),. Making your own speaker wire is like learning how to change your oil instead of repairing a whole engine block: anyone can do it! MORE SPEAKERS ON APARTMENT THERAPY: • Trio of IKEA Salad Bowl Speakers • Noel's DIY Plywood Speaker • Bluetooth Speakers Becoming Bookshelf Stereos • Affordable Mobile Bluetooth Speakers (Images: as linked above)