Gold is everywhere these days, as are inspiring gold leaf projects to try yourself. I confess I've never tried the process, which prompted a recent bout of research. I had no idea there were so many options out there for going gold!
Here are ten products and projects that will help you get a shine on:
1. Liquid Gold Leaf, a.k.a. "Liquid Leaf," that's used as paint. Simply brush it on your object of choice and let dry. Available at stores like Dick Blick for either interior or exterior use.
2. Gold Leaf Sheets can purchased on their own, or as part of a larger kit. Apply a layer of adhesive, then the gold leaf, followed by a sealer. Full instructions are available on YouTube.
3. Nylon Brushes are used to apply adhesive before the actual gold leaf, then to brush away excess leaf as it's applied. Available here.
4. Gold Leaf Pens are a fast way to embellish smaller objects, and useful when drawing a design. They work on paper, porcelain, wood, and other materials, and they're less messy than regular golf leaf as well. Available here.
5. Gold Leaf Giraffe Ring Dish from Delightfully DIY, made using Papier Mache and Liquid Leaf.
6. Gold Arrow Art from Confetti & Stripes, made using adhesive pen (see #7) and gold leaf sheets.
7. Adhesive Pen good for targeting small spots to gold leaf. You can draw a design and the gold leaf will adhere only to the adhesive. Available here.
8. Gold Leaf Agate Table Number from Once Wed using traditional gold leaf.
9. Gold Leaf Tortoise Shell from Shore Society, using traditional gold leaf and a tortoise sculpture by Nate Berkus for Target.
10. Liquid Adhesive applied by brush and used with gold leaf sheets. Also available in spray form. Available here.
Ready to jump in and try it? Let me know how it goes...
When Dabney's not writing around here, she's digging through other people's attics for fun and interesting stuff, or running around with her bloodhound Friday. Originally from the East Coast, she's still shocked to find herself living in Missouri.
Read more from Dabney »