The truth is that there's no right answer. Depending on your living situation, your family and the layout of your home, either answer could be right for you. Reasons to leave the washer door open (or ajar):
- You're letting the interior dry completely to cut down on mold and odor (A problem in many front-loading laundry machines)
- You share a communal laundry room and you're signaling that the washer is available.
- You didn't know to let it dry completely before and now it reeks too much with the door open.
- You have small children or pets who think crawling into a washing machine is fun.
- The washer is out in the open (or in the kitchen) and it's in the way, or you think it looks terrible.
- It's in a closet, and you have to close it to close the door.
(Images: Flickr user Shemer under license from Creative Commons, Flickr user me'nthedogs under license from Creative Commons)