The photos were taken by George W. French for the Maine Development Commission between 1941 and 1949. The houses he captured were built in the 18th and 19th centuries, primarily for wealthy merchants and sea captains.
- The rectangles on the door are a nice contrast to the curving, carved doorway.
- A pretty decorative balcony on a door in Wiscasset.
- Carved patterns welcome visitors to a grandly-designed duplex.
- Etched glass windows and rows of columns frame a door in Fryeburg.
- Grand Ionic columns flank a relatively modest door.
• See more: Maine State Archives
(Images: George W. French, Maine State Archives)