As a rising freshman, I had just come back from a four week stint in Europe. I'd left my heart there, and did not particularly relish the months ahead in the snow belt. This room encapsulates the romantic spirit that might have helped to transport the young gamine in me.
1. Cavallini Phrenology Wrapping Paper, Paper Source, $4. Art is going to be one of the easiest and most important features to help that dorm room feel like home. This poster is the perfect balance of beauty and brains.
2. Irene Suchoki Balloons Over Paris, Urban Outfitters, $54. I couldn't help myself.
3. Cavallini Plumes Wrapping Paper, Paper Source, $4. The feather poster evokes a bygone era and mirrors the throw pillow.
4. Two Birds Throw Pillow, World Market, $35 Incorporate a few pieces to help the space feel "well traveled."
5. Snoig Work Lamp, IKEA, $20. Your room may already have plenty of lamps. Wait to see what you need before purchasing a desk lamp, side table lamp, or floor lamp.
6. Starry Garland, Land of Nod, $29 This could also be an easy and fun DIY.
7. Segovia Whitewashed mirror, World Market, $80 on sale. Wait until you see the space to purchase a mirror. Many dorm rooms will be equipped with a cheap full length mirror, but having one over your desk/dressing table will help make the space feel larger.
8. Renate Rug, IKEA, $29. A rug, perhaps the most important investment you can make. The periwinkle blues here recall the shuttered windows of Provence.
9. Magic Thinking Vayaa Duvet Cover, Urban Outfitters, $79. The French blue and red colors here were the jumping off point for this room.
10. Cottage Chic Hamper, Target $21. Don't forget a hamper. You will thank me for this.
11. Gold Mirrored Tabletop Tray, World Market, $30. This tray has multiple uses, from clutter catcher to carrying tray to table top on the pouf, below.
12. Striped Pouf, Target $30 on sale. A pouf will also have multiple uses, from extra seating, to table, to a place to rest your weary feet.
(Images: as linked; composite image: Elisabeth Wilborn)
More posts in this series