Making gifts for friends is something we are huge fans of and being a group of knitters and crochet happy folks we often use yarn as our primary medium. While fiber made goods do make fantastic gifts, like sleeves for smartphones, there are a few things to keep in mind before you whip out the needles and hooks for that tech treat
So you would like to make a tech gift out of yarn... here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Don't Pick a Shedder- Not all fibers are created equal when it comes to being a good fit for your tech. If you are making a sleeve for something with exposed ports skip out on fibers that shed and can get into those ports like mohair. Good choices for tech with exposed ports are bamboo and cotton.
- Do Think About Heat- Just like how the knitwear keeps you warm, it can also keep your tech gear quite toasty. Electronics do not like things toasty so remember this when you reach for the wool to wrap your already heat challenged laptop in. A nice alternative is to use an open pattern for the sleeve or case that will allow heat to escape and to stick to fibers that don't retain as much heat.
- Don't Neglect The Scratchy- While scratchy yarns are not awesome for your tech gear or your face, they are sure great for durability and generally are water resistant. Get the best of both worlds by using these types of fibers with a lining to protect your tech from getting scratched.
- Do Use a Lining- We know this is a post about knitwear and not sewing, but we would be remiss not to mention that linings are great when you make a knitwear gift. They help protect your tech further and are really not that difficult to add. A more stable lining can also be useful when you use a lacier design for your case by helping it to retain its shape.
- Do Block- Those who work with lace know the importance of blocking, but it is not to be undervalued when it comes to creating gear for tech. By blocking the items you help them to get the desired fit and it is also a way to check for any dye runoff that might have bled onto on the tech on the first rainy day out.
- Do Look at Socks- Although it sounds weird, sock patterns are a great source for inspiration for tech sleeves. The designs of the legs easily translate for smartphones and often require very little, if any calculations to make them work to fit many a device.
What are your tips when working with yarn for tech gear?
(Images: Joelle Alcaidinho)