Short on storage? Consider combining bookshelves with a sofa or bench. The furniture shown above ranges from concepts to DIYable pieces. Even if none of them will work for your needs, they each introduce ideas for adding shelving in unlikely places, whether behind a sofa, beneath a window, or in an entryway.
- 1 N.O.L. Magazine Rack Bench: This unconventional design combines a modern sofa with plywood bookshelves. Although it might not be for everyone, it's an interesting approach to combining two functions in one form.
- 2 Ludus Modular Sofa by Patricia Hopfer: This is a nice example of a sofa with wraparound shelving. The concept is similar to the N.O.L. design, but the implementation is a little more accessible.
- 3 DIY Ikea Shelf as Storage Bench: This idea from Better Homes & Gardens is cheap and fairly simple to recreate at home.
- 4 Squat Module Benches by Vessel: These stackable benches serve triple-duty as shelves, seating, or a coffee table. A matching fold-and-flip cushion makes the surface comfortable for sitting.
- 5 Window Seat for a Small Space: The classic built-in is a great custom way to add storage space and wall-to-wall seating.