"Dragon" (due March 2012)
This is the nursery of our second son, soon-to-be-born 'Dragon' (his in-utero nickname, as a Year of the Dragon baby) and it was inspired by travel, exploration, flight and a sense of wonder.
The nursery is a collection of re-used things from our first son's nursery, things that we have collected over years (like the snow domes, the world map, the Egyptian hieroglyph alphabet papyrus, my first oil painting painted when I was 6 years old, the photograph of Santorini we had blown up on canvas, the hanging mouse, cat and camels bought overseas) and things we hope will bring him joy and wonder, like the fab airplane and globe mobile. We left the basics neutral and added accents that can be changed as our son grows and develops ownership over the space, trying to balance what we loved with what a child will engage with. We also tried to think about the experience of all dimensions of the space, including the ceiling and the floor.
My favourite item is the map. We bought it while living in London and began adding colour-coded stickers of our travels. It has lived blue-tacked to walls in the UK and Australia until we recently had it sliced in three and mounted onto board. We look forward to adding our children's travels to the map. Our first son (18-months-old) already has about six destinations to add.
• Crib: King Parrot, Daintree (discontinued, but similar to the Scout model)
• Paper lanterns: from Robert Gordon
• Origami birds hanging from paper lanterns: DIY
• Canvas words wall art: DIY. I loved the Almond Tree bus scroll canvases, but wanted to make something more personal.
• Around the World airplane mobile: AM Living
• Floor quilt, beanbags, crib blanket and chair cushion: made by my mum
• Rocking chair: eBay
• Footstool: repurposed (painted and re-covered)
• Map: Originally from Stanfords, UK. Cut into a triptych and mounted on board. (They also have fab Wall Map wallpaper!)
• Bird decals: michellechristina on etsy
• Chest of drawers: MALM, IKEA
• Shelves: LACK, IKEA
• MY ROOM ARCHIVE
• SUBMIT A BABY OR KID'S SPACE