Summer is a time of push/pull love/hate here in San Francisco: It's so beautiful, what a wonderful place to live, and it doesn't seem to be raining! But also: Get me out of here, there's a whole world to see, let's go right now! And why is it so cold in the summer? Customizable maps and globes can help make your travel dreams seem a bit more real — but are also kind of a tease.
• Okay. I must admit that usually chalkboard-anything does nothing for me — but a chalkboard globe? So much potential. You could chart your routes, have timed cartography contests, mark where your loved ones are scattered throughout the world, or make up imaginary countries and oceans. You could either make one with landforms included like this one from Design*Sponge, or a completely blank one like this one over at Ohdeedoh.
• The only problem with the Scratch-Off Map is that it makes me want to get to scratchin'! All that gold, though pretty, is mocking my lack of travels. At this point in time I could scratch off about a dozen U.S. states, two Canadian provinces, and Austria, but that leaves a lot of gold. Somebody get me a quarter and a plane ticket! The Scratch-Off Map would be a particularly fun gift for a kid, as they could watch their world become more colorful over the years.
• I've long admired the "It's Not That Far Really" postcards from Rebecca of Rarrar Press, but wanted to send them to ALL of my faraway loved ones. That Rebecca is so smart: she created the "It's Not That Far Really" Postcard Set, complete with 10 postcards (U.S. or World), a hand-carved heart stamp, and a red ink pad.
• Jennifer created an ultra-romantic map for her husband, with sweet stitches marking their travels together. Imagine how it will grow more complex and beautiful over the years! She told Apartment Therapy how she did it, so we can all make one for our favorite traveling companions.
• Finally, there's the little highly-specific map I made as part of a Houseguest Welcome/Survival Kit. I really wish I'd made one for every guest over the years, with special spots picked out just for them- and that I'd saved a copy of each! It would have been fun to see how my favorite places have changed over time, and the maps would be great reminders of the places I shared with friends and family. So from now on, that's what I'll do!
Images: Chalkboard Globe by Halligan for Design*Sponge, Scratch-Off Map from Uncommon Goods via Ohdeedoh, Postcards from Rarrar Press, Embroidered Map by Jennifer Kenning via Apartment Therapy, Houseguest Map by Tess Wilson for Apartment Therapy