Location: San Antonio, Texas
I fell in love with Charley Harper's prints a couple years ago when I read a Todd Oldham book called Hand Made Modern. When I discovered Charley Harper, An Illustrated Life, also by Oldham, I immediately knew that Harper's work would be the inspiration for my future baby's room, regardless of the gender.
I bought the book used on Amazon for a fraction of the cost because I knew I would be cutting out the pages to be framed. As soon as we found out we were having a girl, I decided his collection called "Birds and Words" was perfect! I collected bird statuettes as a kid, so naturally, I rolled with it. I chose these prints mainly for the massive amounts of color, but also for the little "baby" references in the eggs and nests.
With the blasts of color, I chose gray walls, so as to avoid too much stimulation. Baby's still gotta sleep, right??! And, since the space is so small, 8' x 10', storage was a MUST. We went with a dresser as the changing table and shelves above for holding blankets, toys, etc. If there's any advice I can give, it would be that form follows function. I don't care how beautiful a space is, if you can't take care of business in it without ruining it, it's useless.
Here's a fun tidbit: 2 months after Edie (rhymes with sweetie!) was born, I finally started to actually read the Charley Harper book. His wife's name was Edie! I thought that was so strange! (And no, it wasn't subliminal. We found her name by browsing the users' names on Pinterest!! Ha.)
- Paint: Light Gray, Passive by Sherwin Williams
- Paint: Dark Gray, Rocky Bluffs by Valspar
- Crib, Pendant Lamps, Shelves, Bookcase, and Rug: Ikea
- Backing of the Ikea-Hacked Bookcase: Wrapping paper from The Container Store
- Storage Bins: Target
- Storage Bin Label: Printed off from Better Homes and Gardens
- Dresser: A Craigslist gem!
- Changing Pad: Baby Smart Cooshee Changer, Amazon.com
- Frames: $1 Each at Dollar Tree, spray-painted
- Charley Harper Book: $25 Amazon.com
- Monogrammed Mirror: IKEA-hacked, hand-etched by me
- George Nelson Repro Clock: Home Goods
- Bird Painting: Handmade by my sister
- Bird Mobile: Gift from sister
- Eames-ish Rocker: Amazon.com
- Orange Pillow: Handmade by my sister
(Images: reader Molly)