Living in London, it's easy to get caught up in holiday daydreams. Besides the hustle and bustle of city life, the weather on this side of the pond has been somewhat, er, disappointing this summer. With rain every day and temperatures barely in the teens, I'm longing to escape the city for a country cottage or rustic farmhouse, somewhere where the sun is always shining and I can see rolling green hills from my window.
My dream farmhouse bedroom is part Green Gables and part Alice Through the Looking Glass, with equal parts sweet and glam. The furnishings would mix traditional motifs with modern shapes, and my days would be spent reading, sipping tea and going on leisurely country strolls (minus the wellies).
1. It all starts with a bed, and this ridiculous, fantastic, whimsical iron one from Anthropologie sets the tone perfectly.
2. Dash & Albert's Bed of Roses rug is gloriously over-the-top with its riot of pink and orange flowers.
3. A rustic barn door tones down the twee nicely; this one is from a Design*Sponge Sneak Peak (photo has been altered).
4. This handblown, aqua glass chandelier from Z Gallerie is equal parts traditional and modern.
5. For a side table, something simple, sculptural and white is the order of the day, to tone down all the girliness here. I wouldn't say no to a Saarinen side table by Knoll; this one is from The Lollipop Shoppe.
6. My summer reading in this country house? I'd take a stack of P G Wodehouse and be done with it (books from amazon.co.uk).
7. I'll need a cup of tea or two to see me through all that reading. I like this black cup-and-saucer set from Wedgewood.
8. To adorn the walls, I'd choose an oil painting from artist Janet Hill; her nostalgic works whisk the viewer away to the glamour of days gone by. This one is titled The Outskirts.
9. A pretty color on the walls finishs everything off; I'd vote for the palest pink, like Shell from Serena & Lily.
(Images: as credited above. Collage by Eleanor Busing.)