1. It all starts with a bed, and this ridiculous, fantastic, whimsical iron one from Anthropologie sets the tone perfectly.
2. Dash & Albert's Bed of Roses rug is gloriously over-the-top with its riot of pink and orange flowers.
3. A rustic barn door tones down the twee nicely; this one is from a Design*Sponge Sneak Peak (photo has been altered).
4. This handblown, aqua glass chandelier from Z Gallerie is equal parts traditional and modern.
5. For a side table, something simple, sculptural and white is the order of the day, to tone down all the girliness here. I wouldn't say no to a Saarinen side table by Knoll; this one is from The Lollipop Shoppe.
6. My summer reading in this country house? I'd take a stack of P G Wodehouse and be done with it (books from amazon.co.uk).
7. I'll need a cup of tea or two to see me through all that reading. I like this black cup-and-saucer set from Wedgewood.
8. To adorn the walls, I'd choose an oil painting from artist Janet Hill; her nostalgic works whisk the viewer away to the glamour of days gone by. This one is titled The Outskirts.
9. A pretty color on the walls finishs everything off; I'd vote for the palest pink, like Shell from Serena & Lily.
(Images: as credited above. Collage by Eleanor Busing.)