Ah, the "dream kitchen"... I'm definitely guilty of indulging in that daydream occasionally. While the contents of this fantasy room are ever-changing, I know it would have a vintage-industrial vibe, a few modern pieces, pops of colour and a touch of glam. Most of all, it would feel warm and inviting, a place where all my friends would want to hang out. 1. I love the modern-rustic vibe of concrete countertops, which only get better with age. Mine would incorporate a poured sink, too. Photo from Sycha.
2. Classic white subway tile gets my vote for its ability to blend seamlessly with any style. This is from Peel Tile.
3. I'd like the walls in my dream kitchen to be neutral and pale to let the fittings and fixtures shine. For paint, I'd go with No. 2006 Great White from Farrow & Ball.
4. A big, marble-topped table would add some glam to the room, and be a great place to make pastry. I'd love a vintage piece, but would settle for this Crate & Barrel French Kitchen Table.
5. Above that table would hang a big, vintage-industrial pendant light, like this Victory pendant lamp from CB2.
6. To add a pop of color, I'd have a simple mixer tap, like this one from IKEA, powder-coated in my favorite shade of golden-yellow.
7. It would definitely be a splurge, but a few of these Tractor Barstools from Design Within Reach would add the perfect amount of modernity and warmth to the room.
8. A bright, fun wool runner like this Whorled Felt Rug from Anthropologie would add softness underfoot from sink to stove.
9. Truthfully, I don't even drink coffee that often, but I'm not sure I'd be able to resist this FrancisFrancis! espresso machine from John Lewis.
10. There's nothing warmer than a puppy, and my dream kitchen would include a sweet pooch to keep my company while I cooked. Photo from Jez Rose.
(Images: as credited above)