When I began creating this inspiration board for my dream living room, I had no idea what I was going to end up with. As a designer there are so many pieces of furniture, finishes and decor types I can appreciate (and covet), so I was worried the end result would be slightly chaotic.I'm struck by how similar the finished product is the house I grew up in: a neutral palette punctuated with shots of rich color, a good dose of Mid-Century modern, and some glam, traditional accent pieces. If only my parents had let me have a puppy, too.
1. Starting with the sofa, I'd choose a slightly retro, comfortable style in hard-to-destroy charcoal wool. I love UK-based Sofa.com for their cool business model and great customer service.
2. I've got a thing for square coffee tables, like this wood-and-tempered-glass one from Heal's.
3. A fun, traditionally-styled chair like this one from Made.com is both classic and casual. Blue ruffled cushion is from Rapee.
4. I'll need a good bookshelf to store my library of novels, design and cookbooks, and these walnut shelves from Made.com are just the ticket. I like the rich tone of the wood, and the slightly retro feel. The books pictured are Penguin Classics.
5. I like the weird and whimsical Mr. Lots side table from Julian Chichester. It adds a touch of glam but doesn't take itself too seriously.
6. I love natural linen drapes- they go with everything and look better with age. These panels are from Crate&Barrel.
7. Growing up in a home with a lot of Persian and Turkish rugs, I definitely have a soft spot for the warm ambiance and shot of colour they provide. This patchwork number from Dhoku, however, is most definitely not my mother's carpet.
8. I'm a sucker for iconic lighting (not to mention massive chunks of marble) so my dream living room would feature the classic Arco floor lamp. This one is sold by EDC London.
9. I love burning candles in the cooler months, and this small glass holder by JIA from Made in Design adds the right pop of blue glass and industrial concrete.
10. Oh look, there's my puppy again. Don't you just love how well he co-ordinates with every room in my dream home? Picture found here.
(Images: As credited above.)