In decorating, as in grammar, there are elements that finalize a room, just as a period or exclamation mark closes a sentence. Lamps are functional, practical objects that clarify a room's lighting and, in the instances shown above, add a final touch of bold color.Red lanterns are a symbol of prosperity and good luck in China, and these all seem to add a spark of serendipity to their rooms. They range from inexpensive IKEA lamps to designer brands, but each of them has a strong personality that helps to cement the room's style.
- Vintage lamp, similar to a Jielde Floor Lamp ($575) in Heather and Paul's home
- IKEA Ljusas Uvas table lamp ($40) in a girls' bedroom
- Vintage Lightolier lamp ($89) from Jhermann's Etsy shop
- Vintage red Tensor lamp (look for them on eBay) on Rearranged Design
- Giant red Angelpoise lamp from ShowHome UK, £1390
Photos: Liezel Strauss, A.B. Chao, Jhermann, Rearranged Design, ShowHome