A 90-plus-year-old house has its challenges. We've only owned it for a year and a half, so there are lots of dreams and possibilities for what could be. Last year we were still accumulating — furniture, lights, rugs. This year I'm ready to go whole hog to streamline, and look forward to what 2014 will bring. Usually I try to put my best foot forward, but today you will see my worst foot forward and all the problem areas of my house! Whelp!
- Clear surfaces
- ***Get bedside table lamps fixed***
- French doors
- Repaint bedroom
Upstairs Bathroom + Linen Closet:
- ***Paint***: pale pink? Light blue? White?
- Bleach shower curtain (again)
- Re-fold linens in closet
Kids' Bedroom + Playroom:
- General tidy
- Fix fabric on closet
Living Room + Stairs:
- Paint handrail: black or white?
- Paint trim
- ***Replace coffee table***
- ***Paint bookshelves dark and style them***
- Convert under stairs to hideaway
Dining Room / Entry:
- Clear credenza
- ***Hang daddy's painting***
- Rug pad
- Figure out dining chair situation
- Spackle and paint: trompe l'oeil wallpaper?
- Polish marble
- ***New faucet that doesn't leak***
- Reorganize hutch to only dishes
- Clean pantry
- Take down tree
- Get rid of boxes
- Side tables
- Extra seating
- ***Make studio habitable***
Guest Bedroom + Hallway:
- Craft shelf
- General clean up
- Throw out old containers in laundry
- Purchase and organize filing cabinet
Small Guest Bath:
- Hang mirror you bought months ago
- Paint all exterior doors
- Re-stain porches
Just before Christmas we did a massive clothes and toy purge and revamped the play room, so while the children's areas are in a constant state of flux, they will not be my focus this month.
I read afterwards that this list-making business is supposed to take an hour. Confession: I probably spent 15 minutes, as it's been ongoing in my head. It is clear what needs to be done. The entryway is a problem child, my studio is completely neglected, and we have a pile of issues in the bedroom. And PAINT!
My first foray into this process, I trust the Cure will help me tackle everything one day at a time. Who's with me?