Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- San Francisco, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- My husband and I met in college where we secretly shared a single, twin-bed dorm room for three years. Moving into a studio and upgrading to a ‘full’ bed made us feel like we had all the space in the world! I have enjoyed the creative and organizational challenges of living in a small space, while still making it feel welcoming and comfortable. We love entertaining in our small space because guests always comment on how cozy and relaxing it feels. I love all the natural light we get, the pleasing color palette and all the personalized touches that really make it feel like our own. Plus, our home only takes about an hour to clean from top to bottom! It’s the perfect size for the two of us.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- So far the biggest challenge I’ve run into came after my husband and I got married last summer. We received TONS of household wedding gifts -- enough to fill a full-size home, and I had to find a place for all of them in our tiny studio. I’m sure many folks who live in small spaces will agree that finding a place for everything without making it feel cluttered, and while still reserving negative space to rest the eye, is a huge challenge. I addressed this challenge by utilizing vertical space, installing shelving units, and using pretty storage vessels, like canvas boxes, baskets and trunks to hide knick-knacks while providing a unified look. Living in small spaces is all about problem-solving, and a small-spacer's job is never done! It’s all about experimenting until you get it right both aesthetically and functionally.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- I’m always saying, “If I had the money, I would…” buy more local art! I love supporting local artists and I’d love to be able to do it more often. It’s such a great way to add unique touches to a space. I’m also in the market for some great rugs. I’d like to get some great artistic-metallic prints from my wedding made to hang on the wall. And I’d like to buy second-hand furniture to refurbish, bring back to life and possibly sell -- I think that sounds so fun!
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool 2013