I love having house guests. I know I am in the minority on this one, but to me, the sign of a great home isn't the perfect decor or the best sofa — it's whether guests feel at home in it too. However, after lots of shuffling and changes in life, our guest room has become overloaded with junk. The January Cure means it's time for an upgrade.
Cleaning is always number one on the list for making a space more cozy. As a reminder, here are the things I hoped to tackle.
- Dust the fan and turn the blades around
- Clean out closet and donate clothing
- Choose throw pillows to keep and donate the rest
- Get new bed pillows and sheets
- Donate old ill-fitting sheets
It's a tradition at my home to replace the sheets and pillows every three to four years. Some might find this wasteful, but I think it helps to make a space feel fresh. Plus, bedding and bath accessories are always on sale in January, so perfect timing.
To make sure all my pieces worked together, I came up with a "buy and keep" image for inspiration. This is helpful for me, especially so I don't end up doing a series of returns over and over again.
Here are the items on my Keep List (I already own these, but they are still available online):
- West Elm Mongolian Lamb Pillow in Pebble ($69)
- Threshold Organic Blanket in White ($29.99)
- Aqua World Map from These are Things ($96)
And here are the items on my Buy List:
- Threshold Performance Sheet Set Gray Ring Queen Set ($44.99)
- Hustle Print from Rose and Julep Paper ($5)
- Book Lover Throw Pillow from Society 6 ($20)
Do you like to replace your bedding every few years? How do you keep guests feeling comfortable in your guest space?
MORE OF ELIZABETH'S JANUARY CURE:
(Image credits: Sites listed)